TEFL in YEMEN

Grow a site, grow a community

Discussion Forums

Forum Home > Meassges between a teacher and a supervisor (Epsodes) By Muna Algunaid > Messages between a Teacher and a Supervisor_Episode 4

Muna AI-Gunaid
Administrator

Dear Supervisor…….,

In your last message, you demonstrated an obvious view of what observation is, and how it is an ongoing process with a potential for a long term teacher's professional development. It is not to place blame but to help.

In this message, I would like to focus on one of the observation types and share my colleagues my considerably beneficial personal experience in practicing peer observation. My ultimate goal is to enhance the concept of peer observation practically in our teaching context as it is faced reluctance and perceived with rather fear.

Peer observation is one of the effective pillars of teaching practice that broadens my capability of creation and innovation in teaching styles and techniques and has provided me with varieties of other's teaching strategies and reflect on theirs and my own teaching. I owe my colleagues a lot as I discovered that potential capability inside me.

Peer observation is the observation of teachers by their colleague teachers. A colleague teacher maybe a mentor, a novice, or an experienced teacher. The objective of peer observation might differ from one peer observation to another. It might focus on assisting the novice to develop their teaching skills by observing other experienced teachers or being observed. Another objective could focus on providing opportunities to reflect on their teaching performance in a friendly and calm manner. One of the advantages of peer observation is to build and develop stronger collegial professional relationships where teachers can be observed without that stress or fear of the judgmental outcome. It is, in fact, hoped that teachers share and exchange ideas and suggestions openly for their own and students' benefits.

In some cases to ensure great deal of success and usefulness, peer observation should be organized in advance and some few elements should be considered. Most importantly is trust, respect and confidentiality. If there is respect and trust the consequences are likely to be useful for both parties. Moreover, both parties must have that sense of responsibility to maintain the discussion and notes of observation confidential. Sometimes both parties need to agree upon a specific area of teaching to be observed which they find challenging or they need feedback on from a trusted colleague. They also might need to develop a particular teaching skill and to receive feedback on. Finally, in order not to let peer observation lose its importance, a follow-up meeting should be held soon after the observation where they can identify the strengths and weaknesses of the teaching and suggest practical ideas on how that teaching could be improved. Trust yourself, trust your colleagues, think out of the box and open your mind to other's skills of teaching.

Now do you practice peer observation at your school? If not why? What benefits have you gained from that experience? Do you think peer observation could be effective in our own teaching situation? How can we persuade and familiarize teachers with the concept of peer observation and accept it as a part of their professional development?

We will be waiting for your constructive ideas and suggestions.

Yours,

Teacher.........

March 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hamed

Hi muna and all,

I am very happy to find you episodes again. I learn alot from your topics especially from other's comments.

I don't do any peer observations in my school. My colleague teachers feel embarrass if invite them to my class or ask them to attend my classes. In fact, I am newly occupied teacher. I will try to focus on this kind of proffessional development the coming days. 

Thanks again for ur returning

Hamed

March 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Latifa

Heeloooooo  again muna.

Happy to find you again ! where were you ?

I like this topic of peer observation is a very important topic for teacher of English and others of other subjects. I am like doing in ocassionally in my classes with my collleagues and my aims are too similar to those you mentioned. 

Latifa

March 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

a teacher

Hi Muna and all,

We don't do any peer observations in our school.

In fact I think teachers need training on how to observe and be observed. At a basic level, teachers need to be introduced to a range of different observation tasks (looking at classroom interactions, use of time, language used by the teacher, staging etc etc) and different ways of writing that data down in a factual way. Ways of cutting down on the amount of training that is necessary before peer observations can start include just giving teachers observation feedback forms with clear written instructions, and getting a volunteer from the teachers to give a workshop on observing and being observed.

March 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mohammed Saeed

Hi everybody,

Thanks a million for the topic and I can say peer observation is absent from Teachers agenda . Personally i have a colleague comes to me and discusses the ways of teaching , testing and lesson planning. We usually share information related to our job. But I can say it is not disciplined and I think we have to leave it informal. We can not do it directly. we need mechanisms to apply peer observation in our classes and i think our educational system lacks these mechanisms till now.

Our timetables are full and we have no time to make such thing.Peer observation should be organised by the headmasters in order to be more disciplined and organised.

--

Mohammed Saeed Al-Kaladi

Rada'a, Al-Beyda'a                                                                          

March 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sina

Hi everybody,

I would like to thank Muna so much about this topic. In fact, lt's so important topic for the whole teachers but we're still lacking for such technique . Most teachers in our school feel afraid of coming visitors to their classes so we have done it once or twice.

l most like visiting others that let me gain so many techniques in teaching .

Sina

--

March 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Muna AI-Gunaid
Administrator

Dear Hamed, Latifa, teacher Mohammed and Sina

Thanks a lot for your frank response. Yes, what you are saying is totally true regarding the absence of peer observation at our schools, the need for training teacher the mechanism of peer observation and how we can make it formally and institutionally part of our teaching program. I have, in fact, noticed all that and more at many schools during my visits. That is why I, particularly, chose such topic. 

Teachers and head teachers at schools are advised by their supervisors to set a program for teachers to implement peer observation classes within the same school. The question is; do they follow the advice? We need to make the teachers first aware of the importance of practicing peer observation and that cannot be realized unless they start practicing it and feel the benefits of it. Moreover, it is one of the supervisor's tasks to train the teachers on how to observe their colleagues by sharing them his/her observation for other teachers and what needs to be focused on and how. The supervisor might also show the visitor teachers the different criteria that should be focused on when practicing observation. Thus, gradually teachers could get the principles and the mechanism of the peer observation process. They, in turn, can practice doing it informally and regularly. In my perception, if a teacher knows the stages of the lesson, methods, techniques, ways of evaluation, etc. of TEFL, he/she can determine a focus point he/she wants to observe in his/her colleague's class. Or a teacher might face a challenge in dealing with or teaching a particular point. Then he/she can resort to a colleague and watch him/her when dealing with that particular point. The more peer observation you practice, the more you will be familiar doing it. And when realizing its advantages, you will feel the more need doing it. 

Thank you Hamed and Latifa for your complement and warm welcoming! I never left the site and will never leave it since we have positively active participant teachers like you who always search for knowledge. We are all here to benefit each other and share that simple knowledge we have.

March 5, 2011 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saleem

Hi muna,

I agree with what Mohammed Alkaladi hassaid. Yeahh, I think the school administrations should arrange this process and makes peer observations so smooth. We don't have time available in our schedule. I teach 24 periods a week. Then how can i arrane for peer observation.

Saleem

March 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AKlan

Hi muna and all colleagues,

In fact, I am very impressed by this topic.  Like others, I don't do much peer observation in my teaching.However, I found the information provided is worth followed. I promise I will try it in very occasion in my teaching .

best,

Aklan

March 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shandle

A good topic and is worthy to be pracised not only to be read.

March 8, 2011 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Algadi

Thanks Muna

The  peer observation is so good for teacher to help each other improve their teaching methods, but shall the teachers assessment each other or not.

Best regards

Saleh Al-Habshi

September 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mohammed Alkhyat

Dear  friends ,

We  urgently  request  you  to  participate  activly  in  the  forum  discussions.

BR

Mohammed  alkhyat

--

Mohammed  alkhyat

Head of the Inspectorate Department - Khadeer's Educational  Office

Tel : 0967-4324178 / 0967-4323178

mobile : 0967-735503941

Email: [email protected]

November 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

NEWS SITES

IMPROVE YOU LANGUAGE

http://www.freerice.com is a website where you can improve your grammar and vocabulary and at the same time make rice donation to the UN World Food Program; for each correct answer, the website donates 10 grains to the Program to help eliminate hunger around the world. The more often you play, the more often rice (in big quantities of course) is donated.   

Useful websites for teachers and students,        http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/ar            http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/  

Websites to improve speaking and listening:       http://www.esl-galaxy.com/speaking.html           http://www.englishclub.com/            http://www.education-world.com/          http://www.speaking24.com/ 

Useful Websites to improve reading and writing:       http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/           http://www.englishforeveryone.org/              http://www.onestopenglish.com/   

Our Favorite Online Dictionaries

Language Dictionaries: 

Merriam Webster Dictionary

The Free Dictionary

Computer and Web terms Dictionaries:

The Tech Terms Dictionary                        

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

FOX Sports